Saturday 1 October 2011

Hares & Rabbits (and a cat)

Wowsers! October already! And what a scorcher it was today!
I was wondering if anyone out there knows where the quaint (English?) custom of 'Hares and Rabbits' comes from?
For those of you scratching your head in a what-the-heck-is-she-on-about? way I shall explain.

On the last day of the month, you are meant to make sure the last words you say are 'hares, hares, hares' and then on the 1st of the month the first thing you are meant to say is 'white rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits'.

So, as it is the 1st October, here are a couple more photos of the rabbit/hare in Brum. I've done the either/or option because it looks like a hare, as in, it has long ears. But it is looking out over to the Chinese Quarter, so we thought it was meant to be a rabbit. As in Chinese 'Year of the Rabbit'. As far as I know, they don't have a 'Year of the Hare'!

All I do know is that I just love his cute white bunny tale!


And here is a little clip of Rene growling at next doors' rabbit.



She had climbed out of our bedroom window and jumped into the garden that belongs to the family upstairs. (I know, that sounds really weird, but their garden is outside our bedroom. Such a good bit of design when the boys are out playing with their footballs! NOT!!)

That rabbit just seems to be going 'Chase me, chase me' and is such a tease. We got Rene to come home before she was teased too far!

Hope you are all having a great weekend.
Z xx

2 comments:

  1. That hare/abbit is soo cute, I want one for my garden! How fabulous has the weather been, unfortunately its started raining in Blackpool xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh isn't that funny? I've heard about the white rabbits thing but never the hares, hares thing!

    ReplyDelete