Friday, 14 August 2015

Veg-ing Out

I want choice. In everything. Is that bad?
Each year I think 'next year I'll grow more of just one or two things' rather than a little bit of lots of things.
 
 
But one perfect meal with my home grown peas, carrots, courgettes, French beans and spuds is just so wonderful, I think I may just carry on as usual!
Pidge is still waiting on the runners. Can you spot him?
Everything is grown in pots and I do try to cram in more than I ought. Plus I really can't bear thinning out and throwing away, even into the compost bin. Which means that this year I have about 8 bush tomato plants and I don't even like tomatoes! But Mr B does and I'm sure they will all find homes or at least be made into sauces and frozen. 
 
 
My 'stars' this year have been Casablanca potatoes, which I think taste even better than the International Kidney, (aka Jersey Royal), that I also have. Grown in potato sacks, not a giant crop but enough for a few meals. Also the round courgettes, that I call Tondo Rondo, which are Courgette Tondo di Piacenza. I slice ours and cook them on a griddle pan, but if you are in to rice and cheesey sauces, I think you could make some fabulous vegetarian meals with these.
 
Do you GYO? Any tips or faves to recommend?
Zxx
 


3 comments:

  1. WOW! I don't know if I've ever shown any photos of my allotment, but I really want to. I'm pretty hopeless at keeping on top of it all. But I love growing my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos!!! Such healthy-looking vegetables!!! I'm a pot girl too and I am so happy with my success and dismayed by my failures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started growing my own peas and would like to add carrots and potatoes at some point. x

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete