Wednesday 26 November 2014

Waaay Back Wednesday

My life is not particularly riveting at the moment and I haven't felt up to posting, so, when thinking about clearing the mantlepiece to 'Christmas-fy' it, I thought "let's scan my photo". 

 
Taken c1981 at a friends' flat on the seafront in Worthing.
(Yeah, I am in there somewhere!!).
 
It's fascinating to trawl thru' Facebook and the like to see what they are doing..."W", the lass in the centre in glasses, is the one person I have kept in touch with, a mother of 5 now!!
 
"N" made the Edwardian hat the POW wore on her trip to Canada, whilst working at Cosprop; "S" worked in the making wardrobe at Glyndebourne; "R" is no longer with us (RIP to the greatest bloke); "J" has more or less retired to the Isle of Wight, having been amazingly successful as a maker...The Roly Polys, David Bowie et al have worn garments made by him; "A", I believe was married to Ruby Wax at one time! (Tho' he wasn't actually a student, but the partner of one of us!).
picture from here, which has some really interesting info on the  Klondike dress
We were a mega-talented bunch, each of us proving that you can do a vocational  course and not have to do a degree course to be successful. So many ran their own businesses, as I did for some time, and still do; theatre set designers, product designers, costume and the like.
 
 
 came into my sightline.
 
I mean, 8 million quid....an hour!
I was almost frowned upon at school for being 'arty'; doing one year in 6th form, when I had very few lessons early in the week, but every thing 'art', (art, needlework, various dance classes etc),  all crammed into Friday and Saturday morning! Damned stupid that was! But see how much the likes of 'me' can contribute.
 
Hell, yeah!
 
Zxx

6 comments:

  1. What a great photo - the perfect "Throwback Thursday"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I thought, but I was up for posting on Wednesday!
      Zxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Just wish I could remember who took it!
      Zxx

      Delete
  3. That's a great photo, can't guess which one is you though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the left of the chap lying on the floor at the front.
      Wearing my best vintage ballgown in turquoise and pea green shades. 'Cept in those days it was just old secondhand! I think I still have it in the shed! Must have a look and see if it has a label.
      Zxx

      Delete