Wednesday 24 September 2014

Spitting Prohibited (hear hear)



Today Google have produced a doodle for the 60th anniversary of the unveiling of the first Routemaster bus.
60th anniversary of the unveiling of the first Routemaster bus
It was barely a week ago that we had the chance to have a free ride of these in our own town.
It brought back memories of living in London and using these buses as part of my daily commute.
 In those days you could jump on and off the bus whilst it was still moving!
(Or when it was at a standstill in a traffic jam in Oxford Street!)



They used to just have a conductor, but, now, with H&S, we had an extra chap keeping the open end at the rear end of the bus clear!

 
Just in case you've never seen the inside of a bus!!
 

Wooden window frames, leather(ette?) seats, a 'dinging' bell


I'm safe jumping off now...it's stopped!
Zxx

6 comments:

  1. Ha, I remember my best friend getting on a routemaster in Oxford Street and I was just about to reach up and get on when it drove off! I had to chase it down the street!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has just made me belly laugh...out loud!
    At least nothing tends to move very fast along Oxford Street. Unless it has a blue light on top!!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. So much better than modern day versions, aren't they?
      Having trouble commenting on your blog as PB; will only let me do so if I use my real name. Any ideas??

      Delete