Monday 1 September 2014

All The Nice Girls Love A

 
 
Rosy, from Sewingadicta has been, in conjunction with other bloggers, hosting "Share in Style" this summer.
I am very behind, I know!
 
But fresh from the joys of "PlaidUrDay" organised by señora Allnut I did rather fancy joining in again with this too.
 
These bloggers are the ladies who I never felt quite brave enough to follow or converse with. Sassy, amazingly dressed and all with that indefinable quality - style.
 
Maybe I'm just getting braver!
 
So, my 'sailor' style comes and goes over many years. I have an original pair of sailor pants from when I was a student and slim enough to fit 'em. I made a slightly bigger pair in London. Bright red cotton seersucker with brass buttons for the fold-up frontage.
But the picture I choose is from when my mum still lived on the South Coast and I'd taken Mr B down for a visit.
 
 
My stripey 'deckchair' dress, already old when gifted to me from a mate when we were at college together, (my, it must've been big on me then!!), and still comes out every summer. Patched with zigzag machine-stitching where it ripped under the arm, but, other than that, still going strong. And worn with the bestest of 'sailor' deck shoes, which, if memory serves me well, (and believe me, that seems to be getting less and less well!), were bought from Red or Dead when still running as a stall at Camden. Those I think have ultimately hit the refuse bin! (But not before I removed the laces!!).
 
So....let's party!
 
A little starter, or 'dish of the day', Crayfish and avocado salad.
A Nottingham special
To take care of the drinks-side of the party, may I offer up this...a rum-based cocktail.
 

Old Cuban1.5 oz. Jamaican rum
1 oz. 1:1 simple syrup
¾ oz. lime juice
6 mint leaves
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 oz. chilled champagne or dry sparkling wine

Shake all ingredients—save for the champagne—with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Double-strain into a chilled cocktail glass and top with two ounces of champagne.
Garnish with a small mint sprig.
 
 
Eve: Here ya go, one champagne cocktail.
Adam: Oh, thank you.
Eve: I thought only hookers drank those things?
Adam: Well, I know mom sure likes 'em.
 


(check out the mannequin legs 'table')

The band, as it is now, a mix of old and new members, (sons of an original member), can be booked for your party or function here.

23 comments:

  1. Oooh, that's a great dress!!!! Love the colours! I absolutely adore sailor-inspired clothes so how do I.join in????
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly do love this dress!
      If you go onto Rosys' blog,(click on her name one comment down), then you can leave a link, (instructions show...I'd not done it before either!) and how's yer father!
      Zxx

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear Lady! You're always welcome to our Share in Style and of course, to talk to me too. Your dress is incredibly fun and post your impressed, you look great !!! I have to try that cocktail ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your welcome!
      There's been some excellent links, hasn't there?
      Cheers!
      Zxx

      Delete
  3. What a fab dress, you looked gorgeous. Liking the sound of the cocktail, too. One day we'll finally get out diaries coordinated and share one. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a deal! Soooon!
      Zxx
      PS Any drink'll do actually!

      Delete
  4. Aww, I love the dress and that beach photo. I dream of the seaside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Must pop over to say hello properly.
      I've really been hankering for my parents' old home recently. I blame it on watching the Hope & Greenwood sweet programme on telly; they live just down the coast from where we did.
      Zxx

      Delete
  5. mwahah, nothing more summery than a striped 'deckchair' dress, and love you're sharing it also that delightful salad!
    besos & seaside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...that salad was delicious! All the food at that Nottingham pub was, actually!
      Zxx

      Delete
  6. The nails in the first picture are lovely. You look so happy in the photo: I love your dress.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who the nails belong to! Maybe Rosy, as she hosted the "Share in Style" event. But they are rather lovely, aren't they?
      A day beside the seaside always makes me happy!
      Zxx

      Delete
  7. I used to have a t shirt that was almost exactly the same as your dress (well except that it was a t shirt of course!) Such a nice pic; the dress is cute and you couldnt look happier. I've always like the sailor theme but that's probably cos I always think navy, white and red look gorgeous on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, white and blue is the perfect summer combo, isn't it?
      Like the idea of a T-shirt version of my dress.
      Zxx

      Delete
  8. Fab frock and photo, and yes please to a cocktail! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...you, me 'n' Vix...cocktails together. (Well, anyone can join in!)
      But it would be fab to really get to meet you and I really need a 'Vix Fix' too!
      Zxx

      Delete
  9. A crawfish and avocado salad sounds heavenly right now. LOVE the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heavenly at any time!
    Maybe a cocktail after the baby is born to wet its' head?
    Good luck with the birth!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or as Mr B just pointed out...the berth!

      Delete
    2. Do you want a girl or are you hoping for a buoy! (Yep, Mr B again!)

      Delete
  11. If you're going to meet up with Vix and Curtise then you'll need a chaperone. Kids are back to school next week so we need a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so happy and lovely in that photo. I simply adore sailor inspired clothing.

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for joining Share-in-Style Penny. You are part of the family now, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete