Thursday 24 May 2012

Night Fever - A Post from Mr B

The Love Apple is a wholefood cafe during the day, becoming a venue for live music in the evening.

The last time I was in Bradford, having finished the get-out from the Alhambra at about 2am, I wandered across as a near-empty disco was playing out on the dance floor in front of the stage.

I asked if it was too late to get a pot of tea. The bar staff who served salmon and cream cheese bagels at lunchtime were happy to oblige and I sat at a table with coloured lights rotating as dry ice wisped around my feet.

I could have written that "Massachusetts" by the Bee Gees was playing, but it wasn't.

When Saturday Night Fever - the musical, was being put into production for the first time, I heard that they were buying old stereos with 1970's stickers on and gently peeling them off for the show! Mrs B previously posted a clip of Arlene Phillips' "Hot Gossip" performing 'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper'. The video clip came from The Kenny Everett Show and I remember him doing his outrageous caricature of the brothers Gibb.



Now Vinnie Jones teaches us to 'save a life', (by pressing on the sovereign), to the rhythm of 'Staying Alive'.



The lights may have sadly gone out in Massachusetts, but as I sit on the edge of disco, I raise my glass, (or teacup in this case), to the passing of another starship trooper.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, having Googled The Love Apple, it appears that that too, is no longer with us.
    Such a shame...happy memories of Bradford - my mums' birthplace - and those yummy lunchtime bagels.
    Thank you, Mr B, for helping out with all your lovely posts, while I seem to be unable to quite get it together!!
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete